Tuesday, June 22, 2010

my baby brother

Gone are the days when I was taller and smarter and better informed than Jonah.

Gone are the days when I towered over him, and yelled at him to get out of my room.

These days are gone because Jonah now towers over me.

And astounds me with his perception of people.

And amazes me with his basketball skills.

When I moved away for college he was 10 (now he's 15).

When I decided, just this last week, to stop treating him like he was 10, spending time with him became fun.

When I decided to stop treating him like a 10 year old, we stayed up late watching Remember the Titans, we laughed at inappropriate YouTube videos, we made fun of ugly Lakers players, and he told me about the challenges he experienced as a freshman in high school.

As it turns out, Jonah is in fact, funny, and kind, and thoughtful, and way smarter and more talented than I will ever be.

After 15 years, I'm finally able to recognize what an incredible human my baby brother is. I just never took the time to pay attention.

Jonah, you amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment