Sunday, April 4, 2010

After 8 months, I finally understand

Today it hit me.

I finally understand.

Not that I didn't understand before.

But, I get it now.

I finally, truly, get it.

I was reading while I walked to Easter mass this morning. (By the way, it could not have been a more beautiful Easter Sunday)

And as I was walking and reading I heard someone call out to me, "Hey young lady! What ARE you doing??"

When I looked up I saw two clients waving at me from down the block.

These two particular clients came to SOME several months ago for addictions treatment, dissheveled and emaciated. They have both gone through the 90-day treatment program in West Virginia and are currently in the intensive outpatient program and attending relapse prevention groups.

As I stood there talking to them, I saw that their cheeks were no longer sunken, their smiles stretched from ear to ear, and their eyes were lit up.

This morning, I discovered what the miracle of Easter, and the miracle of the opportunity to serve as a Jesuit Volunteer really is. It's about witnessing the resurrection of the body, firsthand, among the people of God.

The other miracle is that I just happened to be wearing waterproof mascara and sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment