Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Playin' some foozeball!

You may or may not have been aware of the fact that I HATE football. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you know that I HATE football, because I make it a point to inform most everyone.

I have tried and tried and tried to like football. I forced myself to go to games in high school and then in college. I forced myself to sit down with friends and watch football. I even forced myself to go to bars with said friends to watch football.

I just don't get the appeal. The players run around for thirty seconds, someone calls a timeout, they stop the game for five minutes, and the cycle continues.

But, it's never going to happen. Even as a baby, my dad had to turn the sound off on the TV when he watched football or I was inconsolible.

My point is that I hate football. (Although, because of my loyalty to certain clients, I am a diehard Redskins fan.)

But, today, I did not just learn to like football. Today, I loved football. One client found a football at Isaiah House, and something came over me and I asked him if he wanted to go outside in the alley and toss the ball around.

He immediately agreed, so we went outside and tossed the football back and forth several times. Today is a magnificently beautiful spring day, so sure enough, several other guys joined in within a few minutes.

Thankfully, my dad forced me to learn how to throw a football properly at the tender age of four ("No daughter of mine is going to NOT like sports!"), so I was able to impress many an ex-high school football playing client with my beautiful spiral throw. Let me just clarify, that my spiral throw is the only thing that's beautiful when I play football.

Everyday I pray that I can be completely present to each of my clients, and that I can be open to fostering special relationships with each of them. I had no idea that my prayer would lead to my newfound love of football.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! Plus, liking football makes you cooler.

    ReplyDelete