Friday, January 29, 2010

1 Corinthians 12:12

My community recently took the Kiersey personality test, which is an adaptation of the Meyer's-Briggs Personality Inventory.

As a general overview, the results of the test give each person a specific combination of the letters E/I (extrovert/introvert), S/N (sensing/intuitive), T/F (thinking/feeling), and J/P (judging/perceiving).

All 4 women in my house are ENFPs and both men were ESFJs.

Apparently, only 4% of the population are ENFPs, which led me to question the validity of this personality test.

When I first took the Meyers-Briggs a couple of years ago I remember being stoked that I had such a "rare" personality type. Almost as stoked as when I found out I have an O- blood type. Which is equally as rare as being an ENFP.

So, needless to say, I was a little perturbed that three of my housemates have exactly the same personality type as I do. (As far as I know, I'm the only one with an O- blood type though.)

Upon further reflection of the results of our personality tests, I realized that there are only 32 combinations of those 8 letters. At some point I was going to have to accept that I am not the only ENFP in the world.

Upon even further reflection, I realized that having the same personality as three other people in my house does not lessen the originality of each person. In fact, I've actually come to love the thought that four people in my community have the same personality type. Because, clearly, it's an AWESOME one.

That being said, I will feel terribly unoriginal, pending a blood test, if any of the ENFP's also end up being O-'s.

Should that be the case, I am still the tallest girl in the house.

On a more serious note, the Meyers-Briggs Personality Inventory is incredibly helpful, as it gives insight into the strengths and weaknesses of each personality type. Knowing which areas of your personality are opportunities for growth is something worth being aware of and seeing the strengths of your personality is very affirming.

No comments:

Post a Comment